What does mould smell like?


Some compounds produced by moulds have strong smells which are volatile and quickly released into the air. These compounds are known as microbial volatile organic compounds or (mVOCs). Because mVOCs often have strong or unpleasant odors, they can be the source of the mouldy or musty odor frequently associated with dampness and mould growth. A mouldy odor suggests that mould is growing in the building and should be investigated.

Mildew refers to certain kinds of mould or fungus. The term mildew is often used generically to refer to mould growth. There are over 300 species of molds and they can thrive on any organic matter, including clothing, leather, paper, drywall, ceilings, and floors of homes with moisture management problems. Mildew often lives on shower walls, windowsills, and other places where moisture levels are high. In unaired places, such as basements, the mVOCs can produce a strong musty odor.

The health effects of inhaling mVOCs are not fully known, although exposure to it has been linked to allergic symptoms such as headaches, nasal irritation, dizziness, fatigue, and nausea.

The key to mould control is moisture control. It is important to dry water damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mould growth. If mould is a problem in your home, clean up the mould and get rid of the excess water or moisture. Repair leaky plumbing or other sources of water. Absorbent materials, such as ceiling tiles & carpets, that become mouldy may have to be removed and replaced.

For more information, or to speak to a professional about mould removal, call us @ 519-946-0363, or visit our website at www.supremerestoration.ca for a free home inspection.